Me being off work is a disaster - a natural one again!

This has nothing to do with my illness or treatment, just an observation. Historically, I seem to be home from work when some major natural events or disasters happen. Everyone remembers where they were when President Kennedy was shot - I was home with a cold, my Nana was babysitting me and we were mesmerised by the TV for 2 days. I remember watching the funeral at school on a little TV they wheeled into the auditorium. I was home after having a tooth pulled when Bobby Kennedy was assassinated. I was home on one of my day's off from the hospital when the Challenger crashed. I remember calling Ralph (it was his day off too, and we marvelled and were devastated by what we were watching. He came over and we watched together downstairs at the Dalston house). I took a week off to paint my upstairs almost 3 years ago today. My first day off , as I remember was the day Katrina hit and I shuffled the little TV around upstairs as far as the cable would take it as I watched that horrific disaster unfold before my eyes. I was away in Pawleys on vacation in October 2005 when rain drenching tropical storm Tammy hit the east coast causing major flooding in South Carolina. I don't know if the tsunami counts since everyone was off for the Christmas holidays but I'll put that in here too. And now, tomorrow we'll see what horror Gustav will bring to the Gulf Coast. Kathleen, the 'Bling Queen' is in Orlando at a work convention but will fly home tomorrow night before any effects of Hanna hit the eastern Fl/Georgia coast and I've just e-mailed a friend in Orlando to check on the weather there. I'd just better be doing some kind of 'work' every day to save everybody else from disaster! At least this will keep me glued to CNN tomorrow and keep my mind off my next 'T-day' on Tuesday.....

4 comments:

Dan said...

Hi Mom,

I think you should at least check your work email on a daily basis (that constitutes as work) and nobody gets hurt.

Love Dan

Dan said...

Hi Mom,

T2 this morning and I am thinking of you.

Give em hell.

Love you TONS.

Dan

Cathy said...

6:55pm and so far so good. Time for another Gravol and Ativan then hopefully sleep if the 'barfies' decide to arrive. They'll come tomorrow and hook me up to an IV for 'liquifaction'. Would be nice if they could slip the odd ounce or 2 of scotch in there...mmmm, maybe not. Keeping my fingers and stomach crossed that they've got it right this time. 33% done!

Dan said...

Hi mom,

You go girl!

Dan