Love and caring... stitch by stitch.

I've told you about my starburst circle. My work colleagues are certainly one of the most imporant ones to me. I've been with this fabulous not-for-profit organization for 10 years (as of Oct 14) and have seen it grow in both size and excellent reputation. The short definition is 'we help people' - unemployed people that need help with the job search or starting a business. I'm currently on leave as a member of the Senior Mgt Team and manage(d) the Business Services division.

Well, I had an absolutely delightful visit from 2 of my colleagues yesterday that brought me the most beautifully, handcrafted lap quilt to take with me to the hospital for T-days (it's cold in there!) and also use around the house. I've attached a picture of me using it today since trying to describe the beautiful colours and prints would not do it justice. Ladies, I was the envy of my section and had some real quilters coming by to give it the 'thumbs up'. I thank you with all my heart. It was a gift from all the 'girls' at head office - most of whom I've known for almost those 10 years. They're kind of grouped but all dear to me in different ways.

Sandy, Louise, Jan, Lynn & Judy were some of the first to know about my diagnosis and shared their own and family experiences with me along the way. Sandy and Louise and I go waaay back - to kids graduating from high school, starting college, boyfriends, marriages, deaths of parents and now we are officially our own 'Nana' club. Sandy's newest little addition was born last week and my next one is any day. Louise has a few more months then the 3 of us will be at 2 each! Jan, Lynn and Judy keep my inspired with wonderful little gifts, extraordinary words of encouragement and Judy's sister in the US is even part of the group.

The ladies of Marketing and Finance put up with my lack of following protocol for work orders, eye-bobbling confusion over numbers and budgets, but share in this adventure with me with caring, lovely e-mails and unwavering support. It was Jill's sister who made the lovely quilt that I will cherish forever. I can't wait to see all of you on the 22nd.

Then there's my fellow SMT members. Nella, Kim and Judy and I have become great friends as well as colleagues. We are just as good at writing a mean funding proposal and arguing our case when we know we're right or deserve an opportunity as we are at sharing drinks, jokes and even the odd mini-vacation/training session. I've now successfully got them all addicted to Pawleys Island (oh, and Annie B too) and can't wait for our trip next spring. They are my link to an officeplace that is really a second home for me - I truly love my job and the people I work with. The 'guys' in the group, John and Graham, put up with my endless technically-deficient questions and have taken on projects in my absence without a moan (to my face at least!)

The aforementioned Sandy has graciously and most competently taken over as director during my leave but I have made a firm committment to her that it's her show to run with Nella and the rest of the teams. I'll be happy with the odd tidbit of news and baby updates as the weeks go on.

Not many people can say so many good things not only about the work they do but about the people they work with every day. I, and Dave, are truly blessed to work with highly professional, successful organizations that treat their staff like family - probably even better than some families! Thanks to each and every one of you for the karma, vibes, messages and gifts you've been sending my way. Like good old Arnold said, 'I'll be back' - date TBD!!

No comments: