Is there anything better?

Than the smell of a new baby's neck? Or head, or fingers... I was so lucky to get to spend all afternoon in Cayuga yesterday snuggling little Rion, changing a diaper (gee, I still remember how!) and hanging out with Rawny and Jaclyn for a while after school. I don't know that I accomplished much to help out other than the girls and I doing some baby clothes sorting but I think it gave Dan and Laurie some small slots of time to get back to business - which hasn't stopped a tick since Rion's arrival. I was telling Laurie that most new moms have quit work and come home to taking care of baby, hubby and household - she's come home to a busy, full time job (their busiest season is just getting into gear), a brand new baby who dictates the feeding schedule, a hubby who's fortunately there to help out but is still the 'key man' in the business, and two active little girls who luckily are in love with their little brother and will be a great help as the weeks go on. It will all get worked out but I was glad to even give them a couple of 1/2 hour slots to answer phone calls, respond to e-mails and talk to each other uninterrupted. I was, of course, in lah lah land with a baby to snuggle, rock, sniff and just hold. I'll be back on Saturday to hopefully provide some more of the same and Sara will help as they get ready for their wine class that night. After Laurie does her intro at the class, I'm glad she'll be heading home with Rion for some quiet mommy/baby time. Terry, Dan and crew will have everything well in hand and Sara and I are looking forward to tasting some delicious California wines and remarkable food. If only they weren't 1 1/2 hours away!

1 comment:

Dan said...

Hi mom,

It was just great to see you the other day while we ran around getting ready for our class. You and Rion seemed to have a great time and he already misses his Nana (I can relate). Seeing you with him reminds me of my Nana, he is so lucky. The half hour spurts of time were more valuable than you think so thank you. Hope you had a great time at the Wine class. You and Wanda looked great. She really knows how to take care of you (thanks Wanda). I will talk to you soon.

Love Dan