Everybody should have a Bunny....

... and a MaryLynne and a Laura, and a Sara, and a Dan & Laurie and a Kathleen and Chris - more commonly known as the ChrisLeen Team. All these individuals and couples have taken upon themselves to be my 'team' of nurses, helpers, cooks, drivers, health consultants, researchers and fashion and makeup artists.

Bunny and MaryLynn are actual RN's. I got to know MaryLynn after my first surgery and she showed up at my door the next day to check up on me, show me how to drain the dastardly drain, answer any questions and generally cheer me up and keep me informed. Once the chemo started I was told I could request her again, if she was available (she was, yeah!) and she again showed up on Day 2 to check up on me and answer questions. As the miserable days wore on, she arrived to give me nausea preventing shots in my derriere and give me tips on how to feel better. She always remembered which bum she'd poked the time before and, even after I started feeling great, called just to make sure. She's on board for Round 2 and I know she'll be there to help me out again, should I need it.

Bunny is also an RN - retired so she says - but lives in South Carolina and her primary duty is the cleaning and maintenance of the wonderful condo we bought last year. She's been another lifeline of information, encouragement and duties 'above and beyond' as she looks after all and sundry related to my sometimes less than stellar tenants who break things, leave a mess and lock things that shouldn't be locked. As she tells me, 'if I can't fix it myself, I'll find someone who will!' She's already informed me that she'll be on board in her RN role when we visit in October and has lined up one of 'her' Drs just in case I need anything while I'm away. I bless the woman every day and wonder if she really is real - but I know she is and I can't wait to see her again with her great humour and my favourite southern drawl.

My sister Laura and daughter Sara have taken it upon themselves to be my 'family' nursing staff. Laura is the doer of all things that need doing - cooking, bringing me meds, taking to appointments, calling every day and making sure everything keeps ticking. Not just for me but for Dave and his mom as well. After her own health issues this winter and spring, we're kind of looking out for each other, it's just her turn at the moment. Sara is the 'nurse to be' and researcher extraordaire keeping me on my toes with my symptoms and meds and coming up with new information and websites when we're scratching our heads over something. With a BUSY almost 2 year old, it's a wonder she has time to sleep but there's never a day without a call or an e-mail to check up on me - and great 'girl' visits when we can. After the wonderful care she gave her Nana in her last weeks, this girl will be a blessing to any patients fortunate enough to get her.

Dan and Laurie are my nutritional consultants and continue to provide me with a fabulous array of good, healthy foods, a juicer which I'm still working my way into, some great reading and advice and unending positive support. How they manage to keep on top of all of this and fuss over me while expecting a baby in the next few weeks and running a wonderful business www.twistedlemon.ca (I'm your mother, I can shamelessly plug it if I want to!) is beyond me but they do and I appreciate it. The ChrisLeen team look after my spiritual well being with books, movie nights, humour and Kathleen is the official 'bling' queen. I'm being supplied with lovely things to wear, makeup tips and endless manicures and pedicures to make me look great when I feel like crap.

All in all, I have decided I have a complete 'Starburst' team surrounding me. Remember those fabulous fireworks as a kid that exploded with a centre burst then a huge array of twinking little constellations surrounding it. That's what I have - a wonderful group of people from all different parts of my life that are there to support, help, cheer and reassure me when I need it. You'll hear of more of them as time goes on but I am grateful and blessed to have each and every one of them in my 'Starburst'!

2 comments:

Dan said...

Hi mom,

You should be a motivational speaker/author that travels the world bringing people back to earth. I am so proud to be a part of your star burst (not like you would have had the choice) so that you know that we all appreciate what you do/have done for us all the time. The buzz looks great and thanks for the plug. Keep on keepin on.

Love Dan.

Dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.