One little step at a time.

Feeling a bit better today. The general achiness and stuffiness from the cold seem to have finally moved off - thank goodness! Still have the problems with my mouth and talking is painful so I don't. My lips would only be alluring to a sex-starved alligator. Dave brought me ice cream and creamsicles last night and made me a protein-packed milkshake so that went down nice and easy. I know he's concerned that I'm not eating but it's just been really hard. Being 'sick' on top of the treatment side effects was not something I'd ever anticipated and it's been tough - but I feel my optimistic self clawing its way to the surface again. It will be SO NICE to be able to get out, maybe see some of my friends, talk to my family on the phone and maybe even GET OUT OF MY PYJAMAS AND TOQUE! Dave will especially be glad to see that I'm sure even though he laughs at the toque - it's his after all!! I feel like Rip Van Winkle though. I came home from vacation, had a treatment, felt icky for a couple of days, then got sick for 10 days and now it's WINTER!!! What the heck happened to fall in the middle? And Friday's Halloween and I don't even have a pumpkin! In all my life I don't ever remember not having a pumpkin for Halloween. Come hell or high water I will get out of this damned house and get one for Friday - even if it's not carved I don't care.

The funniest thing we've been monitoring over the past weeks has been the stupid leaf garland I have hanging around the front door. It looks really nice but likes to fly off in the wind and we then have to figure out where it's landed. It's been at the neighbours, in the pine tree at the end of the yard, under the car and - after last nights bluster and blow - is now wrapped about 20' up in the maple tree BEHIND the house... the thing has a life of it's own and I think will stay there until spring, stupid thing.

Time for another creamsicle. I'm sure next week will be much better so look out! I'll be back!

2 comments:

Renee said...

Cathy,

Here's a great website for dealing with the side effects of mouth sores.

http://www.hrpca.org/mouthsores.htm

I had them during my Neutropenia phase after the first does of Taxotere/Cytoxan. I had the Neulasta shot after the 2nd treatment and zero mouth sores.

The "Magic Mouthwash" really does work. Tastes terrible, but it helps with the sores in the mouth and the esophagus.

~Renee

Cathy said...

Thanks Renee. They're pretty much gone now but I'll ask about the Magic Mouthwash and Neulasta when I'm at the clinic this week!